Big Game pinball, produced by Stern in 1980.
This is a widebody measuring 25-1/2″ wide, and 54″ tall.
This was the first Widebody game from Stern, although the playfield design was much narrower than the standard Widebody pinballs of the period. The typical playfield of such a game was almost 29″ wide. This was only 24″.
It was also the first electronic game to use 7-digit score displays. To advertise this, all four score displays simultaneously animate the numbers “1234567” during Game Over mode, followed by flashing “7777777” for three seconds, repeating it again after displaying high scores. There are no added sounds during this animation.
As it now sits, it is in exceptional overall condition.
The double flippers are designed so the ball cannot drain between them.
Designed by Harry Williams.
The asking price is based on the pin being refurbished to “Collectors Quality” condition.
The photos in the gallery at present, show the pin in it’s current condition.
Major work that will be done on this unit as follows:
Cabinet will have minor paint touch-ups done, then it will be receive 4 passes of acrylic enamel clear coat which will give in the wet shine look; and protect it against light scratches.
All the cabinet metal will be sandblasted, and powder coated; I’m thinking gloss black on this pin, but if your ordering, choose your own color.
The playfield will be stripped bare, cleaned, minor touch-ups completed, then receive 4 layers of 2-part automotive clear coat. Then it will be protected from wear for life.
All the electronics will be updated, and many old connectors, and capacitors changed, so the unit is reliable. The lamp driver will be changed to a new Alltek, so it can run the new LED bulbs, without ghosting. I will add my custom remote mounted 3-bridge rectifier board, next to the power supply. In the future, if a bridge fails, this allows for easy replacement, no soldering required.
All playfield metal parts, such as posts, will be polished in a tumbler with a special medium, for over 1 week; end result, they will look new.
All mechanical components will be disassembled, cleaned, and rebuilt to original specifications.
The player score displays will be changed to the new LED type, making the high voltage generating circuit obsolete, greatly improving reliability.
All #47 & #555 bulbs will be changed to color matching 2-SMD frosted, high intensity Comet brand. All back box bulbs will usually be cool AKA natural white. Likewise, most all playfield General Illumination (GI) will also be Cool White. Unlike Warm White, which has a red hue, cool white is pure white, and will illuminate the playfield much better.
A new sheet of tempered playfield glass will be installed.
The current backglass rates a 9.5 and will remain, but it will be cleaned, and sealed with 4 passes of acrylic enamel clear coat to prevent any future degradation
Basically, 2-steps you read about under “The Restoration Process”, (which is broken down into 3-parts) Board Sets, & Playfield will be applied to this pin. As stated above the original cabinet paint job will receive minor touch-ups, then sealed with 4 layers of acrylic enamel clear coat.
Notable Features: Flippers (4), Pop bumpers (3), Slingshots (2), Star rollovers (5), 3-bank drop targets (3), Spinning targets (2), Stand-up targets (2), Kick-out hole (1).
Production: 2,713 units
Player Reviews Here: ipdb
Follow: “Absolute Pinball” on Facebook to see what pinballs are currently being restored; and the documented progression.
All pricing is subject to change, due to exchange rate fluctuations.
Call 306-955-6636 to inquire.
If you have any questions about any of our products, don’t hesitate to reach out! You can also give us a call at 1-306-955-6636.
Absolute Pinball Guarantee
The standard Stern Warranty is limited to 30-90 days on brand new items, depending on the component. Absolute Pinball will provide you with a conditional, limited 12 month warranty on your new Stern pinball from the date of delivery, or pick-up.
The following warranty terms apply:
- Any newly purchased pinball MUST be unboxed and “pre-inspected” at Absolute Pinball’s shop. This can be done with, or without yourself present. This is an excellent opportunity for you to learn the proper set-up, tear down and transport procedure. Plus, I will go through the pinball with you, pointing out tips, tricks, and high wear points. This is about a 3 hour process. Unit will be blanket wrapped, then shrink wrapped prior to loading.
- Unit cannot be used for any type of commercial activity. This means it cannot be placed out on location for public play. It cannot be rented, loaned, leased, or used in tournament play. These machines contain a very comprehensive audit tracking software, some of which cannot be reset.
- No software code updates can be done during the 12 month period.
- This warranty is in place for 12 months from the date of pick-up, or delivery, or 3000 hours of machine power-on time whichever comes first.
- Machine must be set on “Free Play”, and the coin acceptors will be removed, and sealed.
- If you sell the machine prior to the warranty expiring, the warranty ends on sale date.
To maintain the 12 month warranty you cannot add any after market modifications. This includes items such as decals, shooter rods, bulbs, toppers etc. Any modification added voids the warranty.
- Absolute Pinball will provide you with a wall outlet voltage surge protector. Plug it into your wall outlet, then plug the pinball into it; use it at all times.
- You MUST ensure that your new pinball is plugged into a home circuit that is not shared with a high amp draw device. (Examples: Bar Fridge, Wine Cooler, Sump Pump, Freezer, Fridge, Microwave, Popcorn Maker, Garburator) To be clear, most home breaker circuits are rated 15 amps. In multiball play your pinball will draw 8-12, if another high amp draw device powers up at this time, your pinball will “blink” on/off, and reset. This is not a problem with the pinball. Remember, when checking what else is on the circuit your plugging your pinball into that some maybe on the other side of a wall, or on another floor.
- All pcb boards in your new pinball will be marked with tamper proof identifiers. Any indication of removal will void this warranty.
- This warranty does not cover any part of the marine grade plywood playfield; such as delamination, or lamp insert separation, also referred to as ghosting.
- This warranty does not cover any damage caused by liquid, fire, smoke, or vandalism.
- All warranty service work is done at our shop. The cost of moving the machine to and from, is the responsibility of the owner.
- This FREE extended warranty is offered to provide you with piece of mind, knowing that if a component fails naturally, in a standard home play environment, you are covered.
Stern Pinball Inc. Factory Limited Warranty
Stern Pinball Inc. Seller warrants only to the initial purchaser of its products that the items listed below are free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use and service for the warranty period specified; warranty periods are effective from the initial date of shipment from seller to distributor.
Printed circuit boards and game logic : two (2) months (60 days)
Dot matrix display boards: nine (9) months. No other parts of seller’s product are warranted. Seller’s sole liability shall be at its option to repair or replace products which are returned to seller during the warranty periods specified provided:
- Seller is notified promptly upon discovery by purchaser that stated products are defective.
- Such products are properly packaged and then returned freight prepaid to seller’s plant.
This warranty does not apply to any parts damaged during shipment and or due to improper handling or due to improper installation or usage or alteration.
In no event shall the seller be liable for any anticipated profits loss of profits loss of use accidental or consequential damages or any other losses incurred by the customer in connection with the purchase of a stern pinball inc. Product.
Except as specifically provided in a written contract between seller and purchaser there are no other warranties express or implied including any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Not all Stern pinballs sold on this site come with the warranty. Only the machines that are brand new and not restored.